Monday, May 16, 2011

1st Communion


As you can see above- we celebrated Bella's 1st Communion yesterday. She and my other two ladies looked their best as we took part in this special moment in Bella's life. One of the best things I'll remember from this day was a comment that Father Dick made at the end of this service. Since he is still recovering from surgery that he had on his knee, he had to sit down to administer the 'bread' for each child. He commented what a joy that was because he was now down on their level, which brought him a lot closer to their face and allowed him to really look into the eyes of each person. "Love and purity" where the words I remember him using to describe the look each kid had in their eyes and I'm sure it was a beautiful thing for him to see. Although he went on to discuss the importance of 'keeping that feeling/emotion growing by coming back to church every Sunday', I knew more that it was a love and peace that only a child not yet jaded by life would have.

None the less- I could also see a love and peace in Bella's eyes that only a young person can have. Unfortunately Church, Friends, Family Drama, life stresses, and the rest of the world will all play a part in trying to remove that peace-but I will do my best to help her keep it for as long as possible.
Above is Vivi being her normal funny self- we keep trying to get her to show that cute - beautiful smile she has in pictures, but she winds up closing her eyes to avoid the flash- silly monkey!


It was wonderful having the Powers come for a visit and it was great to have them there for this event. They have been so wonderful to our girls and I'm so happy to have them a part of our lives.
CUUUTE! Bella and her good friend Declan struggle to get any closer for this picture just before the ceremony. I hope they'll be friends for their entire school journey together. We really like his family and like the friendship that has developed.

No comments: