Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hi girls, it's me, Mama...

First off, let me start by apologizing because I don't post on here nearly as much as I should. Papa is so good about keeping up with this -- I'm going to try and be better and make more attempts to blog on here.

It's about 10:00 in the evening and you are both fast asleep. It was sort of a rough night for you both... you were doing your nightly routine of taking a bath together, and then you got into yet ANOTHER fight. This by far has been the most challenging aspect of raising the two of you. I tell everyone that you girls are the best of friends and the worst of enemies. Right before bath, you both were playing so beautifully and sharing your toys and having no problems. 10 minutes later you get into the bath and it's WWIII. I had had it. The fighting has been an ongoing issue with you two. I was tired of constantly stopping the arguing and feeling like I had to yell at you both to get it to stop.

I told you both very calmly (which I think unnerved the hell out of you both, since I tend to yell when it gets that crazy) - 'Ok, it's obvious you both are done with bath time. Since you can't play nicely, it's time for bed.' I proceeded to take you both out, skipping books and went right to dressing you in pajamas and tucking you in. The crying that came from your bedrooms was unreal! You both went from being angry, to pleading that I change my mind, and then being overly apologetic to me.

But here's the beautiful part of this story (trust me, there is one): you both started calling out to each other from your beds and apologizing to one another. "Bella, I'm so sorry, I don't want to fight!" "Vivi, I'm sorry, please forgive me!"

I sat back in the living room and couldn't believe what I was hearing. There are so many times that I look at the two of you and think that I am probably the proudest parent in the world, but this one really took me being proud of you both to a whole new level. It was like my little 5 & 3 year old FINALLY got it -- I don't like the two of you fighting because you both love eachother and you should be eachother's best friends. It was like all the lessons of 'Stop that, that's your sister!' or 'Be nice, she's your sister!' or 'Don't pinch her, she's your sister!', finally came together. I was so proud of you both because you realized that when the two of you fight, you're really only hurting yourselves because you two are one half of the other.

So of course, I did what any mother would do, which was run right back to each of your bedrooms, give you lots of hugs and kisses, and telling you both that I was proud of you for apologizing. You each made promises that you would try your hardest to not fight anymore and then gave each other big hugs.

So for now, there is peace in the Moncrief house... let's hope that the lessons learned tonight make it past breakfast tomorrow.

I love you both so much and goodnight, sleep tight, to my sweet little girls,

Mama

3 comments:

Moncrief Girls said...

That was a WONDERFUL story, Lynn. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING IT!

Those two can be so hard on each other, yet so loving minutes later. I guess their just like you and i in that way.

Their Passionate souls that allow them to love better than anyone, yet hurt harder than anything.

I'm not worried about them. They both are still growing, but their hearts are of pure Love... so they'll be just fine.

Great story and please add more of them.

Zac

Moncrief Girls said...

That was a WONDERFUL story, Lynn. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING IT!

Those two can be so hard on each other, yet so loving minutes later. I guess their just like you and i in that way.

Their Passionate souls that allow them to love better than anyone, yet hurt harder than anything.

I'm not worried about them. They both are still growing, but their hearts are of pure Love... so they'll be just fine.

Great story and please add more of them.

Zac

Martin & Grace Vu said...

When you said that the girls started shouting their apologies to each other between their bedrooms, I just about LOST it!!!! I can totally picture that situation and I would have bawled right then and there. Bella & Vivi- you two are the best and Auntie/ Ninang is SOOOO glad (and lucky too!!!) to have you two to use as examples for Kekoa and future baby cousins as well!!! I love you girls!!!